Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Celebration for All



In the past twenty-two years, I believe I’ve completed the most wonderful milestone birthdays. The day I became a teenager, the day I turned the “sweet” age of sixteen, my eighteenth on which day I was able to vote in the presidential election, and of course my twenty-first last year. Today, I hit the boring….twenty-two. I feel like the next milestone birthday I will have is in 18 years when I begin my journey over and down the hill…and that doesn’t sound like too much fun. My dad challenges that opinion saying, “Thirty’s next and that’s the new twenty!” Okay, Dad. I still think 21 could have been my last hoorah milestone!

With that being said, I wanted to find a way to make THIS birthday the BEST BIRTHDAY YET! I figured the best way to do that was to have everyone share in the celebration. I will be spending my day committing 22 acts of kindness. I’ve made a tentative list of things I’d like to do, but am praying for opportunities to present themselves. 

Instead of making this day about me, I want to make it about everyone. I’d like you to share in this celebration with me and inspire others to join in. It can be something as simple as giving a compliment or carrying someone’s groceries to their car. Being a chilly day, pumping someone’s gas would be a sweet gesture. 

My hope is to touch multiple lives and make this not only the best birthday yet for me, but a more beautiful day for many others. There’s a quote by Ghandi we probably all think we’ve heard one too many times: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Well, on this day, not only will I be helping people directly, but hopefully encouraging those people to do the same for someone else. My hope is to form a chain reaction making so many others’ day happier and brighter.

I would love to know what kind act you did for someone or someone else did for you. Feel free to comment on this post, text, email, Facebook or tweet me. It will make my day just knowing that you are out there helping me share God’s love with others.

I want to leave you with this, but no one can say it better than Ellen….
                                “Be kind to one another!”

5 comments:

  1. I have my redskins tickets for todays game to a friend who ships out to Afghanistan next week with the Marines. He's taking his brother and his dad along with a childhood friend. My heart aches for his family but I hope the time they spend together today is fun and memorable.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off HBD!!!!!! Sometimes the diffrence in life isn't always about what you do for someone but sometimes what someone shares with you. That being said for me today it would be receiving an e-mail from a co-worker / father to view his daughters blog and what an inspiration to to read something from someone I've never meet but take away from it is that there's a proud father with a kind hearted daughter that more in likely make a diffrence in people's lives daily........BTW 30 is the new 20's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsay -lou! I love your birthday challenge and although i won't actually be able to do it until tomorrow, i will be donating Target gift cards to a lady who will be taking them to a mission group in NJ to help flood victims. I cant wait to hear about all of your random acts! Happiest of birthday wishes to you sweet girl!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today my niece is paying forward acts of kindness. I accepted her birthday wish with a deep love for, and proudness in my heart for my niece. I loaded, unloaded and stacked wood for my father. I went grocery shopping for my mother. I supported 2 churches that I am not affiliated with. I checked on my brother Joey who had gone out of town as a last minute replacement for a friend and returned home with a gold medal. Thank you Lindsay for being in my life for 22 years. Happy Birthday and may those whose lives that were touched with kindness today smile brighter because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsay - Happy Birthday! What a thoughtful young woman you are! I will be collecting items from my loved ones for a friend's loved one displaced by the Hurricane. I will keep your random acts of kindness challenge on my mind.

    It should warm your heart to know how proud your Dad is of you! 30s are way more fun than 20s!

    ReplyDelete